Eric D. DeNure
Eric focuses his practice on defending retailers, construction contractors, manufacturers, suppliers, insurance companies and their insureds in high-value personal injury and construction defect cases all over South Dakota. His experience includes handling all phases of litigation, including discovery, expert depositions, dispositive motions, pre-trial practice, trial and appeal. Eric has an outstanding trial record. His most recent experience includes acting as lead counsel in four jury trials conducted over the course of five months. All four resulted in verdicts in favor of Eric’s clients.
Eric is also experienced in the defense of lawsuits alleging insurance bad faith. He has successfully defended insurers from breach-of-contract and bad faith claims involving both coverage and contractual benefits. Eric was solo counsel in a recent four-day jury trial in the Federal District of South Dakota. His client received a defense verdict on both bad faith and punitive damages.
Eric is active in the South Dakota Defense Lawyers Association and Defense Research Institute. He serves on the SDDLA Board as President-Elect, and will take over leadership of the organization in November 2016.
Eric gained extensive litigation and trial experience as a judicial law clerk for the Circuit Court Judges of South Dakota’s Second Circuit. He received his Juris Doctorate from the University of South Dakota. While in law school, he served as the Graduate Assistant for the Law School’s Dean. Eric earned his Bachelor of Science in Economics from Oregon State University.
Eric is married with three children and makes his home in Sioux Falls.
- Phone: (605) 336-2565
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Assistants: Julie Heetland, email@example.com
Dixie Riter, firstname.lastname@example.org
- University of South Dakota (J.D. 2008), Dean's GA;
- Oregon State University (BS Economics, 2003).
- South Dakota, Federal District of South Dakota, 8th Circuit Court of Appeals
- Wheeler v. Cinna Bakers, LLC, 864 N.W.2d 17 (S.D. 2015);
- Englund v. Vital, 838 N.W.2d 621 (S.D. 2013);
- Voeller v. HSBC Card Services, Inc., 834 N.W.2d 839 (S.D. 2013); Milinkovich v. Progressive Cas. Ins. Co., 827 N.W.2d 366 (S.D. 2013); Wheeler v. Farmers Mut. Ins. Co. of Nebraska, 824 N.W.2d 102 (S.D. 2012);
- Anderson v. W. Nat. Mut. Ins. Co., 857 F.Supp.2d 896, 898 (D.S.D. 2012);
- Lloyd v. Brands, 799 N.W.2d 727, 729 (S.D. 2011)
Professional Associations and Memberships
- DRI, Member (2009-present)
- South Dakota Defense Lawyers Association (Board Member 2011-present; President 2016-2017)
- Second Circuit Bar Association (2009-present)
- Married to Angie with 3 children, Sam, Jake and Emma.
- United Way